Kincardine: Quarry firm plans to send road materials by rail

The coal-fired plant on the shores of the Forth was demolished in 2001 and the site cleared but Tillicoultry Quarries aim to reinstate the railway sidings that remain and say their proposals will help them take more lorries off the highways.

The firm want to add new rail sidings, a dust shed, welfare building, loading area and car parking at the former power station, to the west of the village, and have submitted an application to Fife Council.

A planning statement on behalf of Tillicoultry Quarries explained: “It is proposed to use the sidings for loading aggregate on to trains for distribution purposes and for the storage of rolling stock.

“The aggregate would be transported to site from sites operated by Tillicoultry Quarries within central Scotland.

“It is anticipated that approximately one to two trains would be loaded per week, equating to approximately 94,000 to 180,000 tonnes per year.”

Tillicoultry Quarries have been in business since 1931, they now have 22 quarries and plants across the UK, and supply a wide range of construction materials to help build and maintain Scotland’s roads, buildings and infrastructure.

The firm supplies aggregates, concrete, mortar, render, gravel, asphalt and sands and aim to move and deliver their products by freight train, incorporating 12 sidings.

To the east of the old power station is the Stirling to Charlestown Junction rail line, which also passes the former Longannet Power Station and hugs the West Fife coastline before reaching Dunfermline.

Some material would be stored at the site for short periods and it’s proposed that loading, and minor maintenance works, would take place during the day and at night.

The existing access from the A977 road would be used.

The statement added: “The proposed development will ultimately remove a significant volume of longer distance HGV traffic from the road network.”

The coal-fired Kincardine Power Station, off Hawkhill Road, began generating electricity in 1958.

Operations ceased in 1997 and it was demolished by 2001.

The land, owned by Scottish Power, has remained vacant ever since although it has been used by the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service for training purposes.

Back in 2018 they told Dunfermline MSP Shirley-Anne Somerville that the site would be put up for sale.

She welcomed the news and said at the time: “After lying vacant for so long, it’s about time that it was put to use.”

You may also like...