Dad-of-three fighting for life in coma after he’s punched during …

A dad-of-three is fighting for his life after being punched after his stag do at the Grand National.

HGV driver Lee Burns, 41, had been at the Grand National at Aintree Racecourse on Saturday April 15th before going for a night out with friends in Poulton, Lancashire.

He was out with friends celebrating his own stag do at the Grand National before he was assaulted outside a bar and knocked unconscious at 1.25am on Sunday.

The dad-of-three was rushed to the Royal Preston Hospital where he had to undergo three-hour long emergency surgery to ease pressure and swelling from haemorrhaging.

Paul Latham / Facebook

As reported in The Echo[1], Lee, who was due to be getting married in four weeks, is now in an induced coma fighting for his life after suffering two bleeds on the brain, according to his friend Paul Latham.

Paul has now set-up a Go Fund Me[2] page to support Lee and his family, after being told his friend will not be able to work again due to his injuries. At time of writing it has reached £6,217 of a £20,000 target.

He wrote: “Hello, I’m Paul. Lee’s friend. So many people have contacted me in the last 24 hours, asking me to do this as they want to make a donation to help support Lee and his family, following the brutal attack on Lee in the early hours of Sunday morning 16.04.2023.

Paul Latham / Facebook

“Lee was returning home from his own stag do at Aintree Racecourse. Lee is now fighting for his life in Royal Preston Hospital, following a completely unprovoked attack in Poulton Le Fylde. Lee is now in a coma.

“If you would like to make a donation, please do so as Lee will never be able to return to his job again following his life saving brain surgery. Lee and Sara’s life has been changed forever as a result of this attack. Thank you in advance on behalf of Lee, Sara and his family. X”

In a Facebook post, Paul continued: “Everybody who knows Lee, knows he has the biggest smile in Blackpool. He’s always happy, always laughing always making new friends.

Ruth E / Geograph

“Long may that continue but it will be some time before he is able to display his trademark smile on the Fylde Coast.”

A 33-year-old man from Blackpool has been arrested on suspicion of wounding in connection to the incident. He has been bailed, pending further inquiries, until July 13th.

Detective Chief Inspector Lee Wilson, of Lancashire Police’s West Division, said: “The victim was on a night out when he was seriously assaulted. He remains in hospital in a serious condition and we are doing our utmost to get answers as to what happened and who was responsible.

Michael Graham / Wikimedia

“One person has now been arrested and released on bail, while we continue to investigate the incident. We are still urging witnesses to come forward and would like to speak to anyone who saw what happened, or caught it on mobile phone footage.

“If you were in that area of Poulton between around 12.30am and 2am on Sunday morning, please cast your mind back and please check any photos or videos you took on your phone.

“Similarly, if you have information about what happened or who is responsible, please let us know.”

Anybody with information should contact Lancashire Police, quoting log 124 of April 16th.


  1. ^ The Echo (
  2. ^ Go Fund Me (

You may also like...