Lorry driver in Royal Stoke as A500 clean-up continues
A trucker has been taken to hospital after his lorry carrying ‘several tonnes of scrap vehicle parts’ overturned on the A500. A clean-up operation in Hanchurch is continuing this afternoon where motorists are still unable to join the M6 from Junction 15.
StokeonTrentLive reported how the truck overturned at the roundabout by the M6 turn-off for the southbound carriageway. During the height of the incident the motorway was shut between Junctions 16 and 14 before reopening just before 5.40am. It has also seen lengthy delays on the A500 near to Junction 16 as motorists look to take an alternative route to join the motorway.
At the time of writing the northbound and southbound entry slips remain shut as recovery teams remain at the scene clearing some of the shedload from the verge.
A spokeswoman said: “An ambulance and a paramedic officer were sent to the scene where, on arrival, crews discovered a lorry had been involved in a collision. The driver, a man, was already out of the vehicle and was treated by ambulance staff for injuries not believed to be serious before being taken to the Royal Stoke University Hospital for further treatment.”
National Highways says the truck has been recovered from the scene – but there is no estimated reopening time yet.
A spokesperson for National Highways said: “The lorry has been recovered and recovery agents are now clearing the debris. The lorry was carrying several tonnes of scrap vehicle parts.
“There are two tippers and a grab truck on the scene at the moment – they‘ve done one load and are now on scene doing a second. We have a barrier crew on standby ready to assess the damage to the barrier and carry out repairs once the road has cleared. There is no estimated reopening time just yet.”
- ^ A500 (www.stokesentinel.co.uk)
- ^ StokeonTrentLive reported (www.stokesentinel.co.uk)
- ^ Sainsbury’s shoppers face diversion as six weeks of roadworks start (www.stokesentinel.co.uk)
- ^ West Midlands Ambulance Servic (www.stokesentinel.co.uk)
- ^ Prison would only punish you’ – ‘Sad’ pervert, 65, dodges jail over 1980s sex attacks (www.stokesentinel.co.uk)
- ^ Last-ditch bid to save Stoke-on-Trent’s declining bus services with £31.7m plan (www.stokesentinel.co.uk)
- ^ Gran’s ‘fat’ slur sees thug knock her out in savage attack outside pub (www.stokesentinel.co.uk)
- ^ Curry house has zero-star hygiene rating overturned after urgent review (www.stokesentinel.co.uk)
- ^ Huge Hanley multi-storey car park plan passed – by just one vote (www.stokesentinel.co.uk)