A38 Aston Expressway two convicted over fatal collision

Ryan, who was 21, was driving on the A38 (M) Aston Expressway just after midnight on June 2, 2024. His car was smashed into by an Audi, which caused it to hit another car. Tragically, despite the best efforts of paramedics, he was confirmed dead at the scene.

The Serious Collision Investigation Unit at West Midlands Police started immediate enquiries, and were able to determine that the Audi, driven by Saqlane Zafar, of Woodlands Road, Birmingham, had been speeding through closed lanes along the expressway, causing traffic to swerve out of its way. Analysis from the Forensic Collision Investigators subsequently revealed the Audi was travelling at 91mph when it crashed into Ryan's car, when the speed limit was 40mph. Further investigations revealed that objects had been thrown from the Audi over the barrier of the expressway, and officers later recovered a number of nitrous oxide cannisters from the road below.

The investigators also found the Audi had been travelling together with a Nissan, being driven by Muhammad Hamza. Following the collision, Hamza briefly stopped to pick up Zafar, and the pair callously fled the area despite the clear devastation at the scene. Ryan SandhuRyan Sandhu (Image: West Midlands Police) The Nissan then failed to stop for officers in Small Heath but following a pursuit, the two men were detained, and Zafar was found to still have the key to the Audi involved in the crash.

The 28-year-old was arrested, charged, and subsequently pleaded guilty to causing death by dangerous driving. Hamza, also aged 28, of Granthan Road, Birmingham, was arrested and charged with dangerous driving and perverting the course of justice, and on Tuesday (August 26) was found guilty of both following a trial at Birmingham Crown Court. Sergeant Rich Evans, from SCIU, said: "This was a truly horrific collision that claimed the life of a young man, Ryan Sandhu, and devastated his family.

Ryan had everything ahead of him, and no family should ever have to endure the grief and pain that his loved ones now face. "The driver responsible, Saqlane Zafar, showed complete disregard for the safety of others. He was travelling at 91 miles per hour when he struck Ryan's vehicle, and then fled the scene without even checking on him.

His actions demonstrated a shocking lack of care and responsibility. "I want to pay tribute to Ryan's family for the incredible strength and dignity they have shown throughout this investigation. "I would also like to thank the Officer in Charge, Gail Arnold, who has worked tirelessly and with great determination to ensure that Zafar was brought to justice.

Her commitment and professionalism have been vital in securing this outcome. "This case is a stark reminder of the devastating consequences of dangerous driving. One reckless decision behind the wheel can destroy lives forever."

Ryan's heartbroken family also paid tribute to him following the collision. They said: "In loving memory of Ryan Sandhu, 21 years old and our family's brightest light. His infectious humour and playful spirit made him the heart and soul of our family.

"As the baby of our family, Ryan was loved beyond words by each and every one of us. "Beloved son, brother, uncle, grandson, and friend, our lives have been forever shattered by his loss. He will be missed more than words can express."

Zafar and Hamza will be sentenced in November.