Van driver guilty of causing death by careless driving in M4 smart motorway crash

The defence argued the crash was 'inevitable' due to a smart motorway technical fault

16:32, 18 Feb 2026

The car had been stationary for about six minutes when Barry O'Sullivan, 45, crashed his Ford work van in the back of the car.View Image

Barry O'Sullivan leaves Reading Crown Court after he was found guilty of causing death by careless driving. (Image: Georgia Bates/PA Wire )

A motorist who crashed into the back of a broken-down car in the fast lane of the M4 has been convicted of causing the fatal collision.

Barry O'Sullivan, 45, was driving a grey Ford work van along the 189-mile smart motorway on March 7, 2022, when he hit a Nissan Micra which had stopped in the outside lane.

The crash, which took place on the westbound side between junctions 11 and 12 in Berkshire, caused both vehicles to propel forward.

Within seconds of the collision, the Nissan burst into flames.

Pulvinder Dhillon, who was a passenger in her daughter's Micra, suffered fatal injuries.

It was later discovered an unresolved technical failure on the M4 smart motorway network meant alerts for broken-down vehicles were not properly communicated in the days leading up to the collision, the trial at Reading Crown Court[1] was previously told.

Click here to prioritise Manchester news in Google from the MEN[2]

Defence lawyers representing O'Sullivan argued their client could not have caused the death of Ms Dhillon because the crash was "inevitable"[3] given that the car was stationary in the fast lane and the smart motorway was not displaying any warning signs to other motorists.

While acknowledging "something went wrong" with the motorway's safety alert system, the prosecution argued O'Sullivan still caused the death of Ms Dhillon by driving carelessly and "at speed".

They told jurors during the trial that O'Sullivan failed to pick up on "cues" suggesting the vehicle was stationary, including the fact other motorists were taking steps to avoid the broken-down Nissan.

The panel found O'Sullivan guilty on one of one count of causing death by careless driving, having deliberated for more than six hours.

A preliminary sentencing date has been set for April 24.

A National Highways spokesperson said: "Any death on our roads is one too many and our thoughts are with the family and friends of Pulvinder Dhillon following this tragic incident."

They added: "While nothing can ever compensate for their loss, the person responsible has been found guilty of driving carelessly."

Speaking outside Reading Crown Court on Wednesday, O'Sullivan said: "I would like to say how sorry I am to the family."

Article continues below

When asked about what his next step will be in terms of potentially appealing against the outcome, he said: "I need to seek legal advice before I make any decisions."

References

  1. ^ Reading Crown Court (www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk)
  2. ^ Click here to prioritise Manchester news in Google from the MEN (www.google.com)
  3. ^ the crash was "inevitable" (www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk)