Lorry driver on video call killed dad, 36, in motorway horror crash

Arran McManus was killed almost instantly when Zvonko Tomisa ploughed his HGV into his stationary Nissan Qashqai

12:05, 19 May 2026Updated 12:06, 19 May 2026

Arran McManusView 2 Images

Arran McManus(Image: Family handout)

A lorry driver on a video call to his wife smashed into the back of a dad's car, killing him. Football coach Arran McManus, 36, died after Zvonko Tomisa ploughed his HGV into his stationary Nissan Qashqai on the M20 near Ashford, Kent.

The incident happened on the morning of November 25 2025 on the London bound carriageway between junctions 8 and 9. Tomisa, 58, had answered a Facebook[1] Messenger video call with his wife just seconds before the fatal crash, which occurred at the tail-end of a traffic jam.

Mr McManus, sitting stationary in his vehicle, was killed almost instantly when the HGV crashed into him, crushing his car against a Scania lorry that was parked in front of him.

Tomisa appeared at Maidstone Crown Court on Monday, May 18, after pleading guilty to causing death by dangerous driving.

His lawyer told the court his wife was due to have an operation that day, and he admitted being distracted at the wheel.

He was sentenced to 11 years in prison. He was also disqualified from driving for 14 years and four months.

Mr McManus's fianc?e, Ashleigh Devlin, spoke of the devastation his death had had on their family. The couple had been together for 15 years, having met at university in Liverpool, and had two children aged 12 and 14.

She said: "Arran's sudden and preventable death has completely sledgehammered our lives.

I wake up reaching for Arran beside me. How did the driver not see Arran or our car?

"He was one of the good ones, for sure. Arran's death has shattered our family."

Prosecutor Andrew Bousfield told the court: "The fatal collision took place on November 25, 2025.

Mr Tomisa was driving a heavy goods vehicle. Mr McManus was in a Nissan Qashqai. The lorry goes into the back of the Qashqai and crushes it.

It was travelling at over 50mph."

Zvonko TomisaView 2 Images

Zvonko Tomisa(Image: Kent Police)

Shortly before footage of the crash was played to the court, Tomisa asked if he would be permitted to leave whilst it played - saying he couldn't watch it. However, Judge Catherine Moore told him everyone else in the court would have to watch it.

At the time of the fatal crash, traffic on the M20 had reduced to 50mph on three lanes due to another accident further down the motorway.

However, Tomisa did not slow his vehicle down, being so distracted by his phone that he didn't notice the overhead signs warning of the change in speed limit.

The court heard there was a 27-second failure to pay attention to the road in order to brake in time - with Tomisa instead braking just a second prior to impact.

Mr Bousfield told the court Tomisa, who had arrived in Dover, Kent, earlier that morning, applied his brakes "less than a second before impact" with Mr McManus' car.

He said: "This was a professional lorry driver. There was a rolling stop on the M20 that [Tomisa] did not perceive.

"At 8:26am, there was a video call to him - camera on.

The fatal collision takes place at that time. It's an inference that he's not concentrating on driving. So distracted was he that he didn't notice the slowing down signs, etc.

"Safe to say, [Mr McManus'] crush injuries were so serious that the loss of blood itself would have been catastrophic."

Analysis of Tomisa's phone showed he had been messaging both work colleagues and his wife in Croatia, telling her to call him.

Defence barrister Nadia Semlali told the court Tomisa, whose wife was due to have an operation, admitted being distracted at the time of the collision.

She said: "The defendant makes no excuses for using his phone whilst driving, or for his actions on the date in question. [He] deeply regrets all of his actions on that date.

He's deeply remorseful to Arran's family for the pain he has caused them.

"He accepts he was deeply distracted on that date, much of it in relation to his wife having an operation."

Addressing Tomisa, Judge Catherine Moore said: "You may have been discussing a medical matter [with your wife], but that is no excuse.

"Your entirely senseless actions meant your attention was distracted. You assumed your driving would be unaffected and that, somehow, the rules didn't apply to you. You were not concentrating on the road.

Your failure to do so had tragic and entirely avoidable consequences."

Followinjg the court case, chief inspector Craig West, of Kent Police, said: "Arran McManus' death was completely avoidable.

He was on his way to work and got caught in traffic on the M20, yet the actions of Zvonko Tomisa meant he never made it.

"Mr McManus was a huge part of the Ashford community and his death has had a devastating impact.

"I'd like to thank Mr McManus' family and loved ones for their support throughout our investigation.

They have been put through a horrific ordeal and I hope they find some closure in today's verdict.

Article continues below

"Tomisa has never offered an explanation to what happened that morning but he clearly wasn't paying attention to the road in front of him.

"If anything good can come from this tragic incident, I hope it's that people look at Mr McManus' death and realise the detrimental impacts that can be caused by using a phone whilst driving."

References

  1. ^ Facebook (www.liverpoolecho.co.uk)